Below is a list of some resources we’ve identified that may be useful in the classroom.
- dLOC Teaching Guides & Materials
- EDSITEment! ChronAm lesson plans
- Florida History Day
- Florida Memory- Classroom
- Library of Congress- Teachers
- National Archives- Educator Resources
- National History Day
- PBS Learning Media
- Picturing America
- Smithsonian Learning Lab
- UCF Teaching with Primary Sources
- U of Illinois- Newspapers as primary sources
- Women & the American Story
These lesson plans were developed by Valerie Gresser (PhD candidate in the College of Education at the University of Florida) for the FL & PR Digital Newspaper Project as part of the Smathers Graduate Student Internship Program. Internship proposal
Each lesson unit provides a copy of the lesson plan, PowerPoint presentation, student materials/resources, and teacher keys/examples. Each lesson also include a video recording that provides a brief overview of how the lesson is structured and what it entails.
3rd grade lessons:
4th grade lessons:
5th grade lessons:
7th grade lessons:
8th grade lessons:
9th-12th grade lessons:
Questions or comments?
Feel free to contact Valerie Gresser (email@example.com) or the project team (firstname.lastname@example.org)